Shower curtains are a great place for mildew and molds to grow, particularly, if they are not well-kept. Keeping the shower curtains clean, however, might require a lot of hard work. Thankfully, here are a few shower curtain cleaning hacks that will sort your life once and for all.
Why Do Shower Curtains Become Dirty So Fast?
First things first, it is important to understand a few things about shower curtains. The reason why they get spoilt so early are:
- The shower curtains stay folded most of the time after use. During this time, water gets trapped between the folds and this gives way to mildew and molds.
- Many a time, the curtains are too large and are kept folded near the ends making it clumsy and not letting it dry completely.
How to Keep Them Clean?
If you are not careful enough, even the ‘mold-free’ curtains can grow molds and mildews and need replacement sooner or later. The spots that are formed on the shower curtains as a result of molds and mildews and are an eyesore in the bathroom. Further, the damp smell which soon accompanies them demands immediate cleaning too.
Here are a few hacks which would help you keep your shower curtains for a long time:
- Keep the shower curtains closed. This ensures that there are minimal folds and there is no place left for water to get trapped and for the molds and mildew to grow.
- Measure the shower opening and ensure that the curtain is just a little big in size than that. Too much material will lead to folding near the ends and thus be home for molds and mildews.
How to Wash Shower Curtains?
- You can wash your shower curtains in a washing machine. It is even better if you can wash the shower curtains in the machine with bath mats. This is because the bath mats have a rough texture which helps to scrub off the dirt from the shower curtain and thus helps in easy cleaning.
- Using a bit of white vinegar or bleaching power along with a detergent also helps you in washing the shower curtains.
- Furthermore, you might also try using salt along with hot water to clean the shower curtains. The salt helps to scrub off the dirt as well.
All these methods are far better than hanging your shower curtain and cleaning it from top to bottom. In order to save time and keep your bathroom environment mold and mildew free, it is highly recommended to clean the shower curtains once in a while.
However, if you are running short of time, we would highly advise you to hire a curtain cleaning company which would clean the carpets for you.