One of the toughest cleaning jobs to do at home is cleaning the complicated blinds. Cleaning the curtains and blinds are equally matters as like cleaning the window. Cleaning the blinds or curtains always consumes a lot of time and you have to put in good efforts to get desired results. Whether you have aluminum blinds or wooden blinds, cleaning them is difficult always. It is even tougher if you do not know how to do it correctly.
Why Should Blinds Need To Be Cleaned
However, cleaning blinds is essential to have a healthy living atmosphere at home and keep your loved ones safe and happy. Cleaning your blinds makes an instant drastic difference in the appearance of your home.
To make your task a little easier and blind cleaning a little convenient for you, here we list some simple yet effective methods on how to clean various types of blinds.
General Blinds’ Cleaning Methods
Regular dusting is the key to keep your blinds clean for a long time. Just open the blinds and use a feather duster to get rid of accumulated dust on the blinds. You can use a glove or a sock to clean the tough to reach corners of your blinds. Dusting is not a way for thorough cleaning but regular dusting saves you from a frequent deep cleaning.
Before you clean the blinds using water, vacuuming is a good option. It removes all excess dust and it is also good to maintain your blinds after every deep cleaning session. Just close the blinds and use the hose of the vacuum to clean each blind individually. Then repeat the process by turning the blinds around.
Washing Without Removing Blinds
You can wash your blinds while they are hanging. For this, you need to keep the windows behind the blinds open so that they can be aired out. Use a damp sponge to clean the hanging blinds. Now close the blinds and use the same damp sponge to clean each blind. Repeat the process if necessary.
Heavy Duty Blind Cleaning
An easy way to clean the washable blinds is to use your shower to do so. Take two “s” hooks and hang them inside of the shower curtain. Use the hose of the shower to clean blinds with water along with using a damp sponge. Flip the blinds a few times for thorough cleaning through this method.
Washing blinds outside
If you are keen on cleaning your blinds and curtains too thoroughly then it is best advised to take them out and lay them on a mat. Take a bucket full of soapy water and scrub the blinds with this water using a sponge or brush. Use a hose to rinse the blinds and then dry them with a towel. Finally, let them dry following the sun by hanging them.
Please note that it is suggested to first try any cleaning method on a small part of the blinds and then go about it.
Cleaning Different Types of Blinds
Cleaning Wood Blinds
Superior quality wood blinds are made with a special kind of finish that prevents the accumulation of dust and repels stains. So when buying wood blinds, make sure you choose the best of quality. However, you can use nice furniture polish for cleaning wood blinds. Just a piece of soft cloth is what else you need for this. Spray the polish on to the cloth and wipe each blind with it. You should not touch the cords while doing so. Do not ever use the excess of water for wood blinds and even if you use some water for heaving cleaning, be sure to wipe it off immediately to avoid warping, discoloration, and spots.
Cleaning Faux Wood Blinds
Faux wood blinds are the trendiest blinds in Australia these days. Cleaning them is a breeze because all you have to do is use a vacuum. Use the dust brush attachment of the vacuum and start cleaning your faux-wood blinds. Close the blinds and hold the bottom rail to clean one side using the vacuum. Afterward, turn the blinds and vacuum the other side. Be sure to set the suction power at the lowest while cleaning faux wood blinds otherwise you might end up warping or twisting the slats of the blinds.
If Stains On Blinds: If there is grease or grime on your faux wood blinds then you need heavy deep cleaning. Use your everyday white vinegar and mix it with one part of water. Take a microfiber cloth and dip it in the vinegar-water mixture and use this to wipe off each blind. One day, use a dry cloth to wipe off any leftover moisture on the blinds.
Cleaning Fabric Shades
You can also clean your fabric shades using the vacuum cleaner. Again you can easily use the dust brush attachment to clean your fabric shades. You can also use your hairdryer, set on cool, to remove dust away from these shades. This is especially useful for honeycomb openings. If there is grime or some stains on these blinds, then you can use a sponge or microfiber cloth to wipe it off. Use soap along with warm water and dip the cloth in this mixture. Take the damp cloth and clean each individual slat. Do not over-saturate the blinds and ensure they are completely dry before you raise them again.
Cleaning Aluminium or Vinyl Blinds
There are various cleaning methods preferred for cleaning vinyl and aluminum blinds. Here are a few and you can choose as per your personal choice:
- Clean them as you clean the faux-wood blinds (mentioned above).
- If these are too dirty or too many to be cleaned then take them down one by one. Soak them in the bathtub with a little soap. Take a sponge or a soft brush to clean both sides of the slat. You can use the jets to do the job if you have got a whirlpool tub. Once soaked rinse the blinds with clean water. Drain the tub to remove dirty water and fill it up with fresh water for rinsing. Make sure no soap residue is left as it may cause spotting. Dry them using a towel and hang them for complete drying.
- You can lay the blinds on the outside of the home, squirt soapy water on them, and rinse them using your garden hose. If required, scrub with a soft brush on both sides. You can dry them on the clothesline or let them stay on the grass and dry naturally under the sun. Flip the sides after a while to ensure they get dry from both sides.
Here are some important tips to keep in mind while cleaning your blinds:
- Do not ever spray the cleaner directly on the blinds as it could be dangerous. Spray the cleaner on a piece of cloth and then wipe your blinds.
- It is imperative to brush your pets regularly to keep your blind frameworks neat and clean.
- You can use sheer curtains above the blinds to keep them away from dust.
- Change your HVAC filters to keep air quality clean and internal atmosphere hygienic.
- By sweeping or vacuuming the blinds more often you can reduce your job of washing the blinds.
- Also, it is vital to keep your ceiling fans clean to avoid collecting unwanted dust on the blinds.
And for highly durable, good quality, and affordable blinds in Melbourne always trust Marks Curtain Cleaning Services in Melbourne!